cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot edit a page in IE9

Betsy Ostrander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2012

We have a brand new install of Confluence 4.2.1. When I use IE9 (which is what most of our user base has), I can click Add Page, put in title and content, but the page does not extend down below the page content area. There is no Preview, Save or Cancel buttons, no labels or attachments. Maximizing, minimizing the window makes no difference. We are supposed to be rolling this out next week! Maybe there is an IE setting we need to tweak? HELP PLEASE!

Thanks much!

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Betsy Ostrander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2012

FOUND IT!

If you look at the screenshot, we were inserting a div in the main layout with links to each of our spaces just above the breadcrumb/menu bar. Nothing out of the ordinary there. It seemed like the "hidden" buttons at the bottom of the page were about the same height. I commented this div out of the main layout and this fixed the problem. So I have put it back in, but also added an overflow:scroll style to the PAGE div. Scrollbar appears--problem solved.

<div id="page" style="overflow:scroll;">
<div id="full-height-container">
<div id="header-precursor">
<div class="cell">
$!settingsManager.globalSettings.customHtmlSettings.afterBodyStart
#displayGlobalMessages()
</div>
</div>

## HORIZONTAL SPACE NAVIGATION BAR BEGIN
#if($title != "Log In ")
<div id="authSpaceMenu" >

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2012

Super glad you found it! It looks you have cleaned the IE name ;)

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2012

Remember to mark it as correct in order to help others :)

0 votes
Raj Karan March 9, 2014

I am having Confluence verison 5.4 and this issue still persists, the best solution is downgrade to IE8 or move to Firefox as Chrome doesnot have WebDav.

Even firefox doesn't have WebDav but still provides similar functionality.

0 votes
Betsy Ostrander
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2014

Hi Shreyance,

We are at Confluence version 4.2.1. Hopefully the layout is similar enough to whatever version you're on that you can easily apply it. The snippet below is from the Main Layout Decorator. I think the ## HTML BODY BEGINS is a reference point that should be there in most (all?) versions. The only thing I changed to fix the issue was to add the style="overflow:scroll;" attribute to the div tag with id="page". Hope it works for you!

## HTML BODY BEGINS
&lt;body #onLoadAttr() id="com-atlassian-confluence" class="$!theme.bodyClass $!sitemeshPage.getProperty("page.bodyClass")"&gt;
#parse ("/decorators/includes/main-content-includes.vm")
&lt;ul id="assistive-skip-links" class="assistive"&gt;
    &lt;li&gt;&lt;a href="#title-heading"&gt;$action.getText("assistive.skiplink.to.content")&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/li&gt;
    &lt;li&gt;&lt;a href="\#breadcrumbs"&gt;$action.getText("assistive.skiplink.to.breadcrumbs")&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/li&gt;
    &lt;li&gt;&lt;a href="#header-menu-bar"&gt;$action.getText("assistive.skiplink.to.header.menu")&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/li&gt;
    &lt;li&gt;&lt;a href="#navigation"&gt;$action.getText("assistive.skiplink.to.action.menu")&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/li&gt;
    &lt;li&gt;&lt;a href="#quick-search-query"&gt;$action.getText("assistive.skiplink.to.quick.search")&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;/ul&gt;
&lt;div id="page" style="overflow:scroll;"&gt;
&lt;div id="full-height-container"&gt;
    &lt;div id="header-precursor"&gt;
        &lt;div class="cell"&gt;
            $!settingsManager.globalSettings.customHtmlSettings.afterBodyStart
            #displayGlobalMessages()
        &lt;/div&gt;
    &lt;/div&gt;

Shreyance Shaw March 4, 2014

Hi Betsy,

The solution did not work, thanks for the help and prompt reply.

Thanks,

Shreyance

Shreyance Shaw March 4, 2014

Hi Betsy,

The solution didnt work. Thanks for the help.

Thanks,

Shreyance

0 votes
Shreyance Shaw February 26, 2014

HI Betsy,

Can you let us know where did you make the div changes, we also face the same issue since we have an annoucement banner on the top of the page.

0 votes
Betsy Ostrander
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2012

OK, so we're just days away from rollout and we were planning on moving our user base from IE9 to Chrome because of this problem. Only to discover that Chrome does not offer WEBDAV support which is a deal-breaker. So we're back to IE9.

From all of the documentation I've seen, IE9 IS SUPPORTED, except for the drag and drop functionality (which is absolutely OK with us). This older thread talks about workarounds in 3.x because support for IE9 will be in version 4. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-22060

I can't believe that they can say it is supported without being able to edit a page. Maybe it is something in our environment? Is this a problem for anyone else?

I've tried changing the meta tag in header.vm from content="IE=EDGE" to content="IE=8" and "IE=9" with no success.

There must be something we can do to make this work.

0 votes
Mike Blankenship May 2, 2012

I just installed a 4.2.1 install also, some problem. Doens't work in IE9, Chrome or Firefox.

I like Chrome as much as the next guy, but not supporting IE9 is not a good answer.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

If I'm not wrong there are compatibility problems with the IE9, like in this question:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/37076/is-confluence-compatible-with-ie9

It's not the same problem, but many users have complained about issues with the IE9.

Have you tried with other browser?

Betsy Ostrander
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

Yes, I normally use Firefox, so I wasn't even aware of the issue until a co-worker started helping with setup. The problem is that most of our user base uses IE9 (sigh).

I've played a little with their zoom functionality--I can get the buttons to show up that way, but then the top of the page is no longer visible, where the main navigation is. I need to find a way to get the vertical scroll bars to show up.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

That would be a problem, because I believe that Atlassian isn't working on this. I've heard that in the IE8 is fine but not in the new one.

Changing the user base isn't possible right? ;)

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

Glad you found the solution! I don't think anyone that uses other browser will miss IE ;)

Betsy Ostrander
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

Thanks Ramiro. I think you are right--moving to another browser is probably the best option for us. After a quick discussion with one of our network guys, it looks like this is feasible (hallelujah!). Can't say I'll miss IE. ;)

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2012

And what about the firefox? Is that a possibility? Or maybe working with IE8 instead of 9?

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2012

Re-reading your question over and over again it seems to me it is really an IE9 problem, because it looks like the buttons are there but you can't see them.

And in other browsers are working? How problematic is IE!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events