Network performance

Mike Yearwood July 8, 2014

SourceTree was working very fast for me completely locally. Thinking how to include team members, I attempted to put a set of files on the server and make a repository there and found it unbearably slow.

The documentation says to have repositories on the local drive. In a team environment, do the other developers clone from a first developer's repository? Once they do that, are there going to be performance problems as if the repository is on the LAN?

Thanks

Mike

5 answers

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2014

Also, this is a separate question. Moving...

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2014

Additionally, there is no reason you can't but a repository on a local server. But instead of interacting with the repository and its files directly (by mounting as local storage), you (and all other devs) should clone that repository over https or ssh. Then you have a local repository for standard operations, and push/pull from the centralized server to keep in sync.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2014

If you don't have a central server, then other developers should clone from each other. I have no experience with this type of configuration, but you won't have the same performance problems as before.

Keep in mind that when another developer clones your repository, yours becomes a "remote" (designed to be on the LAN or WAN), but a copy of the ENTIRE repository now exists on the developer's local machine. Commits, checkouts, merges, project trees, and status are all local-only operations. Pushes and pulls interact with remote repositories.

Check out Chapter 5 of the Git book.

0 votes

OK. Even more info. One of the binary files was open exclusively. SourceTree was waiting for the file to be released, not trying to diff it. I could either remember that detail or SourceTree could give up after a few seconds and give an error message. Thank!

0 votes

Welll. I have to amend that. Adding many files to the repository and then trying to stage them was slow. We have certain binary files. The problem seems to be with SourceTree attempting to diff them. Can we tell SourceTree not to diff specific files, but still track them/not ignore them?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events