check hostfingerprints warnings

maphew December 8, 2013

I'm getting certificate warnings whenever I push to bitbucket with SourceTree. How do I fix this?

```
hg push --new-branch default
pushing to https://maphew@bitbucket.org/maphew/xxxxx

warning:
bitbucket.org certificate with fingerprint 24:9c:45:8b:9c:aa:ba:55:4e:01:6d:58:ff:e4:28:7d:2a:14:ae:3b not verified (check hostfingerprints or web.cacerts config setting)

...snip...

warning: bitbucket.org certificate with fingerprint 24:9c:45:8b:9c:aa:ba:55:4e:01:6d:58:ff:e4:28:7d:2a:14:ae:3b not verified (check hostfingerprints or web.cacerts config setting)

Completed successfully.
```

SourceTree v1.3.2.0 on Windows 7.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2013

Hi Matt,

Which version of Mercurial are you using in SourceTree? You can check with Tools > Options > Mercurial. I just updated to the embedded version 2.6.1 and did not get the warning.

If you don't want to update, you can manually add the server fingerprint to the .hgrc file located in your user directory.

[hostfingerprints]

bitbucket.org = 24:9c:45:8b:9c:aa:ba:55:4e:01:6d:58:ff:e4:28:7d:2a:14:ae:3b

maphew December 8, 2013

It's currently using System Mecurial v 2.2.3 (via TortoiseHg, still making up my mind about using SourceTree).

Adding the host manually worked, thanks, though I have to do it per-repository as I can't locate a global .hgrc file; it's not in any of the usual locations (Windows, %HOME% or %HOMEPATH%, %APPDATA%).

Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2013

You may need to create your own global .hgrc in %HOMEPATH%, Mercurial should look to there by default.

Gordon Kam December 11, 2013

Hi Jeff,

I have the same problem. I am running Sourcetree on Mac with Embedded Mercurial version 2.2.2. How do I update the Mercurial if I don't want to edit the .hgrc file? If I edit that file, would it effect other Window PC connecting to the same repo?

Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
December 11, 2013

Hey Gordon,

If you update the .hgrc file, it's just a local configuration and will only affect that machine, it will not change how other machines connect to the same repo.

Shavais Zarathu October 17, 2014

How do you add the host manually on Windows? I don't see any .hgrc file anywhere. I tried adding one to my user's home folder, but that didn't work.

Sillydan January 30, 2015

I also have the check fingerprint problem when I try to clone my repo.. Where do I find the .hgrc file? I'm very new to Mercurial repos

Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2015

@Asger Gitz-Johansen the .hgrc file is located in your users home directory. For example on Linux this would be "~/.hgrc" or "$HOME/.hgrc" and Windows it's located in "C:\Users\<username>\.hgrc" or "%UserProfile%\<username>\.hgrc".

0 votes
wpotters August 18, 2014

I had the same issue and the solution above (editing .hgrc file) did not solve my problem.

After a lot of messing around apparently I did the following:

• clicked away the do-you-want-to-install-git-prompt during installation
  • installed newest git after installation
  • Tried (without succes) to connect to bitbucket.

The solution was really easy:

• Go to settings
  • Go the git tab
  • Click Enable Git support (only available if it was not enabled already).
  • Tried (with succes) to connect to bitbucket.
Steven Pittenger November 24, 2014

.hgrc files are for mercurial repositories only

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events