cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are source files mandatory for clover-report

Abhinav Sahu December 5, 2013

Hi,

I am getting error when running clover-report, like:

[clover-report] Failed to render syntax highlights for /home/ta230208/TeamCity_Agent_Space/sdvsue800/TeamCity-Agents/ta230208/work/47becb009e2f5761/Commons/src/java/com/teradata/datamovement/model/DDLComparable.java

[clover-report] java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/ta230208/TeamCity_Agent_Space/sdvsue800/TeamCity-Agents/ta230208/work/47becb009e2f5761/Commons/src/java/com/teradata/datamovement/model/DDLComparable.java (No such file or directory)java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/ta230208/TeamCity_Agent_Space/sdvsue800/TeamCity-Agents/ta230208/work/47becb009e2f5761/Commons/src/java/com/teradata/datamovement/model/DDLComparable.java (No such file or directory)

[clover-report]         at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)

[clover-report]         at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:120)

[clover-report]         at java.io.FileReader.<init>(FileReader.java:55)

[clover-report]         at com.cenqua.clover.registry.FileInfo.getSourceReader(FileInfo.java:442)

[clover-report]         at com.cenqua.clover.reporters.html.source.SourceRenderHelper.getChecksummingReader(SourceRenderHelper.java:413)

[clover-report]         at com.cenqua.clover.reporters.html.source.SourceRenderHelper.render(SourceRenderHelper.java:389)

[clover-report]         at com.cenqua.clover.reporters.html.source.SourceRenderHelper.gatherSrcRenderInfo(SourceRenderHelper.java:154)

[clover-report]         at com.cenqua.clover.reporters.html.source.SourceRenderHelper.insertLineInfosForFile(SourceRenderHelper.java:83)

[clover-report]         at com.cenqua.clover.reporters.html.RenderFileAction.insertLineInfos(RenderFileAction.java:284)

[clover-report]         at com.cenqua.clover.reporters.html.RenderFileAction.render(RenderFileAction.java:131)

[clover-report]         at com.cenqua.clover.reporters.html.RenderFileAction.call(RenderFileAction.java:115)

[clover-report]         at com.cenqua.clover.util.CloverExecutors$LoggingCallable.call(CloverExecutors.java:86)

[clover-report]         at clover.retrotranslator.edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:178)

[clover-report]         at clover.retrotranslator.edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1061)

[clover-report]         at clover.retrotranslator.edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:575)

[clover-report]         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

[clover-report] /home/ta230208/TeamCity_Agent_Space/sdvsue800/TeamCity-Agents/ta230208/work/47becb009e2f5761/Commons/src/java/com/teradata/datamovement/model/DDLComparable.java (No such file or directory)

I believe this is due instrumented source files not found, right?
My question is whether is it manadatory to have source files when running clover-report? Will my coverage percentage increase if I include source files? Right now getting only 4% for a test but as told by developer it should be above 30%.
My build server is different than test server, still can I give source path? Packages (java) directory structure would be same but the location will be different.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2013

Right now getting only 4% for a test but as told by developer it should be above 30%. My build server is different than test server [...]?

If coverage is lower that expected then it must be something wrong in your environment/build setup. There are many possibilities how to configure Clover for builds on mutiple machines. See:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CLOVER/Using+Clover+in+various+environment+configurations

Questions worth answering:

• which configuration would fit best to your environment as per the Decision Matrix?
  • do you use relative or absolute initstring for clover database(s)?
  • have you copied clover database(s) from a build server to a test server or are they accessible through a shared network drive?
  • is there a need to use -Dclover.initstring or -Dclover.initstring.basedir property on a test sever (see manual above)?
  • do you have clover.jar deployed on test server (for instance in an application sever's /lib directory; depends on what kinds of tests do you run)?
  • do you see coverage recording files produced on the test server in the directory where clover.db is located?

Actually my product has three components, one can be said as client and other two are servers. They all communicate through a message queue (MQ). Now the issue is I am getting coverage for only client code, I am not able to see any coverage for servers code and that's why my coverage is very low. I have instrumented code for all three components and a coverage.db file.

Can you please let me know how can I get coverage info of those codes as well?

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2013

I suggest a following lecture:

* https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CLOVER/Working+with+Distributed+Applications

Shortly speaking, you have to ensure that:

* Clover database (clover.db) is available from your application server - either use an absolute path for initstring (assuming that build server and test server is the same machine) or provide a -Dclover.inistring JVM option for server's JVM

* Clover runtime JAR (clover.jar) is available in classpath - the easiest way is to put it into <server_dir>/lib directory, so that Clover becomes available for all applications deployed on a server

I suggest checking server's logs whether they contain any Clover-related messages - they shall be present in case of problems mentioned above. You can also run an application server with -Dclover.logging.level=debug to get even more details.

Cheers
Marek

Abhinav Sahu December 6, 2013

Hi Marek,

That's the problem build server and test server can't be same. :(

Can we give any URL kind of option in clover ant task so that .db can be accessed via other two components?

Thanks again.

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
December 8, 2013

You can't use URL. Instead of this, just copy the Clove database from a build server to a test server and point to a new db location on that machine by passing the -Dclover.initstring=/path/to/clover.db JVM option.

0 votes
Deleted user December 8, 2013

Marek, just to be clear, the clover.license file must be in all the same places that the clover.jar is. So, if you put clover.jar in your application server's lib directory, a copy of the license file has to go there as well.

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
December 8, 2013

Not really ... The clover.license is required for code instrumentation and for report generation. License key is not required to run instrumented application and record coverage files.

Excerpt from https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/clover:

A Clover machine is defined as a single physical computer that Clover is used on to instrument source code or generate coverage reports [...]

See also:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/52021/usage-of-10-machine-clover-license-via-25-remote-agents-of-bamboo

0 votes
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2013

It's not mandatory to include sources in the HTML report. Lack of sources does not decrease code coverage either.

You can use <clover-report> with srcLevel=false to skip source page rendering:

&lt;clover-report&gt;
  &lt;current outfile="clover_html"&gt;
    &lt;format type="html" srcLevel="false"/&gt;
  &lt;/current&gt;
&lt;/clover-report&gt;

You can also use <clover-report> with <sourcepath> option to point to a different location of sources:

&lt;clover-report&gt;
  &lt;current outfile="clover_html"&gt;
    &lt;format type="html"/&gt;
    &lt;sourcepath&gt;
      &lt;pathelement path="/some/other/location"/&gt;
    &lt;/sourcepath&gt;
  &lt;/current&gt;
&lt;/clover-report&gt;

Yes part of the problem solved, thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS