Tempo Timesheet for entire organization ?

Jakub Raszewski September 17, 2013

Hi all,

I am now considering introducing Tempo Timesheet in our organization. Currently we use Timesheet module created on PWA SharePoint.

It is very tough to manage Agile projects and deal with timesheets on PWA, however many reports which selects specific data from timesheet are being used by many departments:

- PM

- PM Support

- Payroll

- HR

- Sales

In general - entire organization.

Different departments have different needs. Reports are given in nice GUI, i.e. user do not have go to to Timesheet to see desired data.

And now, we would like to migrate from above towards Tempo, however I am not sure if I achieve the following:

1. Timesheets for each user need to be approved weekly - and one user shall be able to see how many users have not got hours approved yet without checking individual timesheets ( This is crucial, before we bill our customers, a PM must approve them, and our support helps PMs in checking whose timesheet needs to be yet approved)

2. Missing Hours - user shall be able to see , whose timesheet is still not filled in without checking particular user

3. How many hours are used for Holidays, sickness, etc ( internal activities)

I am wondering if tempo timesheet will work for all people in the organization. not only for developers.

Is it possible to find somewhere some examples of deployment ?

Any thoughts ?

regards

Kuba

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2013

We are aware of this problem and have a feature request for it. Please take a look at https://tempoplugin.jira.com/browse/JTMPO-449 and vote or comment on it if this is what you are looking for. So far there is no workaround for this (other than not having these fields mandatory).

Regards,

Susanne

Jakub Raszewski September 23, 2013

Hi Susanne

One new question came to my mind. Is there any add-on which can make Jira more BI tool for reporting which includes also Tempo data ?

I miss some functionalities in terms of reporting in Tempo, and I am wondering if tools like eazy BI or Aresnale Dataplane can take the data from DB to make the custom reports.

regards

Kuba

1 vote
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2013

So far it is not possible to export the timesheet approval status via the Tempo API (or Excel export). You can only see the timesheet approval status in the Team Timesheet and get a printable version for this. As you know we do have an open issue for this request (https://tempoplugin.jira.com/browse/JTMPO-750) but I can t give you any timeframe when it will be implemented.

The custom field gets identified with the ID. You can check which Id belongs to the customfield in Administration-> Add-ons -> Tempo Timesheets -> Fields, in the custom field list the Id is given behind the name of the field. The ID is used as the name of the custom field is editable.

Regards,

Susanne

1 vote
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2013

Hi,

I am not sure if this tools will give you anything more than the worklogs. You will have to check with EazyOne or Atlassian for more information about this. Tempo data is included in the JIRA database but not necessary retrievable with these tools.

You can also take a look at the Tempo servlet (https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO/Tempo+Servlet+Manual) and see if it is useful for you or you can use the Excel export and create a pivot table with the information you need.

This blog explains how you can export and pivot your data in excel

http://blog.tempoplugin.com/2012/pivoting-tempo-and-jira-reports-using-excel/

You can also use the Tempo API to export all data on a high level permissions as documented on this page:
http://blog.tempoplugin.com/2012/creating-excel-reports-using-high-level-permissions-api-export/

Regards,

Susanne

Jakub Raszewski September 23, 2013

Thank you.

What I am looking for is whether I can find the status of timesheet approval for the desired week when I export data via Tempo API.

Is it doable ?

Plus, when I have custom field created in Jira and I want it to be exported to XML via Tempo API, then in excel file I can see this custom field as a column named as "customfield_xxxxx".

Can this be changed to the name of this field ?

regards,

Kuba

1 vote
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2013

Yes, this is managed through Manage Teams. It is only indirectly connected to JIRA groups as you can set a whole group as Team leaders or members.

Jakub Raszewski September 22, 2013

Hi Susanne

Couple more things:

1. We need to know what is the role of the user who log the hours, like if she/he is developer, tester, project manager.

As workaround I created mandatory worklog attribute to select a value from drop down list.

The problem is that for Internal activities, it is also shown, so people who do not work on the projects ( HR, assistants, etc.) have to also select it from the list.

Any idea how to deal with it ?

2. Currently we use MS Project with Project Server. And on sharepoint we have timesheet module, where user can find tasks which she/he has the access to log hours. And in the project plan ( in MS Project ) we can setup some attributes to the tasks, like:

- bilability

- off/on site

So in tempo, I created mandatory worklog attributes, which have to be selected when user logs the hours.

Again, problem is, that they have to be selected always when user logs the time, and this will be really annoying for people who logs time only for Interal activities.

Can this be setup somehow differently ? For example that Internal activities have always billability setup as 'No'.

regards

Jakub

1 vote
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2013

Hi,

for 1 and 2)

You can adjust if you want to have a monthly or weekly approval process. A team leader can see the timesheets for his team on one page and see who s timesheet is not yet send to him for approval and if there are hours missing (there is a "pending user" for timesheets not yet in approval process and red numbers in "Sum" if there are hours missing for team member. (More information about this in https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO074/Timesheet+Approval+Process)

3) For holidays and sickness (and other common issues) it is recommended to create internal issues. They do not need a remaining estimate (see https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO074/Internal+Issues+and+Activities)

Tempo Timesheets should work for all people in the organization. Please take a look at https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/EXUS/Examples+and+Use+Cases, there are some examples for the use of Tempo Timesheets.

Hope this helps

Best regards,

Susanne (Tempo)

Jakub Raszewski September 19, 2013

thanks Susanne

one more, team leader and his/her team members are setup in Tempo - Manage Teams ?

right ?

it does not have anything with groups/roles in projects in Jira itself ?

regards

Jakub

Elizabeth Hernandez December 10, 2013

Hi Susanne / Tempo team,

We would like to add the timesheet approval workflow to the existing timesheet process. We would like it to be weekly.

We do have a list of people who would be the approvers.

My question is: How can we implement the timesheet approval NOT for the entire organization, but for a group or a team only.

Is this doable?

Is there a way to do this, any ideas or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure if I should open a new question, I guess I will do it as well.

Thanks!

Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2013

Limiting the Timesheet approval to a group or team is not supported in the current version of Tempo Timesheets, but you can create a feature request in our Atlassian JRIA (https://tempoplugin.jira.com/browse/TT).

Regards,

Susanne

Elizabeth Hernandez December 15, 2013

Thanks for the info Susanne.

How about a work around, such as implementing the timesheet approval to the entire organization, and have some "auto approve" or automated approval by team, or by approver?

Have a dummy approver, maybe?

We would like to simplify it for other groups that may not need the timesheet approval. And have a certain group go through the current timesheet approval functionality. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Tempo Support - Do not use
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2013

Also that is not possible, but might be a good input for a feature request. So far the Timesheet Approval is for all users or none. Both, choosing users for approval or automated approval are not possible (nor bulk approval). If you create a feature request, other users can vote on this idea and give comments that might be useful for implementation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events