Scripted Fields run code regardless of being on screen or field configuration

Nancy Blackwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2013

We have noticed that our scripted fields code is being hit with every issue regardless of the field being on the screen or being hidden in the field configuration. We use many scripted fields and this can cause a drag on the system. Can you tell us why that is is happening and if there is a way to stop it?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2013

This is already logged (somewhere in https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/browse/GRV). I don't know why jira requests the value for fields regardless of whether they are on the screen or not, but it does... there's nothing I can do about it.

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2014

Bummer I just ran into this. My jira instances are being reviewed for performance problems, and Atlassian said basically "Dude - you are running a lot of scripts" --- I ended up checking access logs, and I am seeing script runner invoked for every issue, regardless of whether a scripted field is in play.

I heard mention that there may be code work arounds, or things you can do with end points.. Any general tips?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2014

Atlassian support can be a bit lazy. A script only gets compiled once then it's just a class. Would they say "dude, you're using a lot of plugins, or you're using too much greenhopper" ?

But it's possible your scripts are written badly, or a calculated field is not suitable for whatever you're doing.

There is a rest endpoint hit for every issue you view... it's a negligible overhead but you can turn that module off if you want. Post the line and I'll confirm.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events