Stash internal v.s external database question.

Anthony Lucente August 12, 2013

Hi,

I was wondering how stable is Stashes internal database?

I know the documentation says to use an external database for prodcuciton servers, but what does this really mean? Does this mean the internal database is not good for lots of users or keeping track of lots of repositories? Or is it slower or could crash the system?

What is the purpose of the database with respect to Stash. What type of data is saved in it?

Does it make a lot of sense to stand up an external database for less than 25 users?

Just want to know how much trouble we should go through to install an external database for our Stash instance.

Thank you.

Anthony

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2013

Do not use the internal database for any of the Atlassian products in a production environment.

The first time you have to try to recover a system because someone didn't want to bother with the external database, you will find out why they say to. Yes, it makes sense to stand-up an external database for 25 users. It gives you a lot of flexibility in architecture, tuning and tweaking.

The internal database is not great. It gets corrupted easily and as for "what is stored there..." users, repositories, permissions, code, etc., etc., etc.

Go through the trouble, which isn't that much. You can get a vanilla, internally facing version of stash up and running in about 10-15 minutes if you have hardware/vm's you can use. MySQL, Postgres are both free.

0 votes
Mark de Bont
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2014

From what I've read in https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/85903/storage-in-stashthe external database is used for meta-data only NOT for storing the code itself.

In my case the .GIT repositories are still stored locally on the Stash server.

I was under the impression it was, but you still need a backup in place for the server itself.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2014

That is correct, the Git repositories are stored on disk. That means you need to backup both the database and filesystem to include everything (and is what the Stash backup client does).

0 votes
Anthony Lucente August 12, 2013

The internal database is not very stable at all and thus not recommended for production systems. In the most extreme case the internal database (HSQLDB) is subject to data loss should your sever encounter power loss and HSQLDB is not transaction safe. Setting up an external database is highly recommended.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events