Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to continue heading numbering across Confluence pages

Laura Gura April 9, 2013

I am building a technical document that contains multiple chapters and sections/subsections within each chapter. Some content is small enough to place in one page but other content requires it to be placed in a separate page. The pages are then organized via the tree view for that space. I've been using the numberedheadings macro to number the h1 - h4 sections within a page, but am not having success with getting the macro to continue the numbering across the next page for a given chapter (h1).

I am getting results such as 0.1 or 3.1, when I really need it to be 1.4 or 6.3. Is this possible with the numberedheadings macro?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gert-Jan van de Streek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2013

This should just work with the numbered headings macro. Included pages get numbered just as they were part of the including page.

In case you have trouble getting it to work, create an issue in the numbered headings issue tracker and we will help you figure it out.

0 votes
Nancy Jaiswal September 12, 2018

We have Auto Numbered Headings plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1219286 which auto numbers the headings of whole space in single click of a button. It takes care of numbering sequence on pages and it's sub-pages. Some specific pages could also be configured to be excluded from numbering. Both applying and removing numbering could be done in just single click of a button. Plugin also provides a macro in case numbering needs to be applied only on selective pages.

0 votes
Precision Plugins September 8, 2014

Another option is to consider your online pages as web pages and your exported documents as a different view into that content.

With the Engineering Essentials plugin you can format your pages and your generated documentation according to the best format for each without interference. Use the Scroll office plugin to define a document template entirely in one place and in a familiar format.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events