Downgrade to 6.0.7 from 6.1.3.2

David Na March 4, 2013

A team-member accidentally clicked 'update all' in the Plug-ins section, which updated both Bonfire and GreenHopper to the latest version, which we do not have licenses for. (Our license just expired in January, 2013 - which obviously includes releases up to 6.1, I think) While we will need to resolve this issue for Balsamiq Mock-ups Plug-in, as well as Bonfire Plug-in, GreenHopper is critical to our work-flow of Jira (50 users - we cannot shell out another 1,000+ USD for a license update until later this year).

I am attaching a screenshot of what we see, after un-installing 6.1.3.2 and installing 6.0.7 by downloading JAR via the MarketPlace. I am also attaching the GreenHopper log file, which shows that even after uninstall of 6.1.3.2, some of its modules are being used by 6.0.7 - which needs to be resolved, as some of us believe that trying to use later modules may be at the heart of the issue (hopefully it's configuration change that's required, not a complete re-install).

Other than a complete re-install, is there any way to resolve this issue? Also, if re-install is required, assuming a backup of the DB as it stands currently, will there be any additional steps to ensure that 6.0.7 GHS will work again? (our Jira instance is version 5.1.2#773-sha1:b805b97).

Timely response will be appreciated

David Na

(atlassian-greenhopper.log) ()

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2013

The trouble is it will have upgraded the internal greenhopper data, and the older version won't work.

Basically you're screwed, you need to follow the procedure here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/GreenHopper+disabled+with+the+error+License+is+for+an+older+version+and+maintenance+has+expired - ie get an eval licence.

It's a bug that the GH upgrade will run even when you don't have a valid licence, imho.

David Na March 11, 2013

Thanks for pointing out the Confluence Article. However, getting an eval license does not deal with the situation, and forces a purchase (for continued use) after the eval period expires - since our situation fits the "If the license is not valid for the GreenHopper version" scenario. A roll-back (complicated, due to likelihood of a DB change by upgrade scripts) or a re-install of JIRA is the only recourse, it seems.

David Na March 13, 2013

in the end, your answer was the most helpful in determining the solution path. marking as answered.

0 votes
David Na March 13, 2013

re-install went without too much trouble, by following the various guides found:

- took backup of {jira_home} and {jira_install} folders

- re-installed JIRA on a new machine instance (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server)

- re-initialized DB (Create Schema)

- DB set-up during initial set-up via http://{machine}:8080/

- restored everything I knew how: avatars, attachments, and the zip file that contains the two .xml files - entities.xml and activeobjects.xml (Jira Import in Admin area)

0 votes
David Na March 11, 2013

importing entities.xml did not fix anything. so roll-back does not work for us. will attempt re-install and update results here.

0 votes
David Na March 10, 2013

can you point me to a way to restore just the GH-related data? I do have XML backups from the night before the upgrade.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2013

i haven't tested downgrading GH yet

but what if you

• stop jira
  • remove the plugin from ${jira_home}/plugins/installed-plugins/
  • restart jira
  • install your desired GH version

will this work?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2013

better make a backup first....i don't know exactly what changed are made to the DB during the upgrade process...just in case sth breaks you need to be able to revert settings ;)

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2013

i just tried this...like jamie already posted it won't work.

sorry about that.

David Na March 11, 2013

thanks for putting in the effort to try it out! there are changes to the db table-definitions, apparently, even prior to 6.0.7 - when there are version-upgrades: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/92866/how-do-i-rollback-from-greenhopper-6-0-4-to-my-previously-installed-version

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2013

Installing older GreenHopper version into the JIRA instance will not downgrade the GreenHopper related data. Thus, if you have database backup or XML backup generated before the plugin upgrade, you can roll-back using those backup data.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events