Can you bulk edit the epic link field?

David Witherspoon February 25, 2013

When I try to bulk edit issue epic link shows as an available option but there is nothing to edit (no text box or drop down). Am I missing something pretty obvious?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2013

The Epic Link field is a calculated field (i.e. it's not real or stored in the database), it exists purely to allow JQL searches to search for issues linked to a parent issue. The actual link between an Epic and its stories is implemented using an issue link, not a field. There's no way to edit this link directly.

Thanks,
Shaun

David Witherspoon February 25, 2013

Thanks Shaun. Not the answer I was hoping for but helps me figure out my migration plan

Philip Chiappini October 23, 2013

Shaun, how might I recreate the link between an Epic and a story with a query into the db? I'm struggling to see how the issuelink table works.

Erik L November 13, 2020

see below for actual answer

6 votes
Deleted user June 10, 2020

If you're using NextGen web version of Jira, from the backlog tab you can open the Epic panel, Multi-select the Stories you want to add to an epic (Hold down the "CTRL" key and then click on each story in turn) once done, drag the selected items and drop on the desired Epic.JIRA.PNG

Matthias July 10, 2020

This is the actual answer! Thx

Like Deleted user likes this
5 votes
Emily Clegg June 8, 2018

I've found that if you're in the backlog view and using JIRA Software, you can highlight issues and drag to "Issues without epics" under the "Epics" sidebar. This is limited to issues 'unresolved' though. 

Hope that helps a little.

Chris Broad December 12, 2019

Thanks, Emily. This worked great for me. 

Cheers. 

1 vote
Jeffrey Heitman September 5, 2018

I solved this issue by using the Project Automation Plugin.

I ran a scheduled automation JOB that updated the results of a JQL query to update the EPIC link to the new EPIC that I wanted.

Nimesh Chavda May 28, 2021

Hi Jeff,

Can you please share the Plugin and the job with me if you don't mind.

Thank you,

Nimesh

0 votes
Yannis Tavlikos March 18, 2021

You can use the 'Bulk Edit' option. Select multiple issues in backlog using CTRL or SHIFT, and right click. Select 'Bulk Change' and then select 'Edit Issues'. You can change any number of fields simultaneously, to change the epic select 'Issue Link'. 

You will notice there are also other interesting options like move, transition etc.

Suggest an answer