Running list of Zephyr items to be modified?

Jessica Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2013

At the company I work for we keep a running list of Zephyr quirks or items we'd like resolved/modified. Any idea if/when these will be implemented? We are on Version 2.1.0.1459 of Zephyr for JIRA. And version 6.0.7 of JIRA but will be upgrading to 6.1.4 soon.

• Limited sorting on the test cycles page. Test cases in each cycle can only be sorted by ID, Status, and Execution Date.
  • The Test Cycles page does not show the entire cycle name. You have to hover over it to read any title longer than about 15 characters.
  • The arrows to the left of the Test Cycle indicating that if you click on the arrow the Cycle will expand and show Test Cases - disappeared in a recent release.
  • When executing a test, and logging a defect, there is a button to create an issue but this does not automatically populate the defect field.
  • When exectuing a test, if you enter a defect at the step level it will not display back on the Test Cycles page. If you enter a defect at the top Test Execution level it will display back on the Test Cycles page.
  • Cannot assign a Test Execution or a Test Cycle.
  • No notifications
    • If a test is marked as pass/fail
    • If comment is added
    • If a defect is added
  • From the Zephyr gadget results in a JIRA dashboard, cannot drill down. So, clicking on the results in the gadget doesn't bring up the tests in JIRA.
  • The test cycle lists only ten cases and the "next" button is hard to see and find. No one knows it's there.
  • Attached PDF files open in the same browser tab.

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2013

Hi,

Some functionality is improved in 2.1, if you look in a different place!

Limited sorting on the test cycles page. Test cases in each cycle can only be sorted by ID, Status, and Execution Date.

AND

The test cycle lists only ten cases and the "next" button is hard to see and find. No one knows it's there.

Instead of using the Cycle View, try going Search Testcase Executions.

Then use a string like the following:

cycleName = <cycle name>

1. You'll get a result displaying up to 20 at a time with clear indication there are more tests.

2. You get additional fields you can sort by.

3. You can bulk execute testcases and do other bulk operations

Note: We know the testcase name is missing right now but it'll be there in January.

Now for others:

Q: When executing a test, and logging a defect, there is a button to create an issue but this does not automatically populate the defect field.

A: This is code oversite and will be resolve in a future build.

Q: The arrows to the left of the Test Cycle indicating that if you click on the arrow the Cycle will expand and show Test Cases - disappeared in a recent release

A: I didn't replicate this when looking at my installation of ZFJ 2.1.0459 on JIRA 6.1.3. in Chrome 31. I still have the arrows. Can you please send a screen shot of the issue to support@getzephyr.com and include your veresions of ZFJ and JIRA?

Q: Cannot assign a Test Execution or a Test Cycle.

A: I'll share this information with the development team and they can consider adding it to a future build. At the same time, this functionality is available in our other product, Zephry Enterprsie Edition.

Q: No notification If a test is marked as pass/fail, If comment is added, If a defect is added

A:I'll share this information with the development team and they can consider adding it to a future build.

Q: From the Zephyr gadget results in a JIRA dashboard, cannot drill down. So, clicking on the results in the gadget doesn't bring up the tests in JIRA.

A: I'll share this information with the development team and they can consider adding it to a future build. At the same time, this functionality is available in our other product, Zephry Enterprsie Edition.

Q: Attached PDF files open in the same browser tab.

A: I'll share this information with the development team and they can consider adding it to a future build.

Kind Regads,

Chris

Jessica Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2013

Thank you for the quick response!

**We can't use the Search Testcase Executions instead of the Cycle View as the "sort" and "next" issues are problems when clients are executing tests. We can't ask high level business Clients to do a search when it requires coding zql as it's not user friendly. We ask our clients to go the Test Cycle page via "Execute Tests" and execute a cycle. We need to be able to sort from that page and also make the "next page" option more visible.

If the Search Test Executions page had a basic search option it might work but the best solution for us is still to have the "Execute Tests" page be completely user friendly.

** I will send a screen shot of the arrows issue to support@getzephyr.com

**Thank you for sharing all of the other information with the development team! We really appreciate it :)

-JS

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2014

Hi JS,

I will answer your quesitons inline below:

• Limited sorting on the test cycles page. Test cases in each cycle can only be sorted by ID, Status, and Execution Date. We need to be able to also sort by Summary, Label, Component, and Defect.

Zephyr - In Zephyr for JIRA 2.2 we made it so you can use the Search Test Executions page to sort. You are unable to sort from the cycles page. Once in the Search Test Executions screen, you can do a ZQL to pull up all the tests in a certain cycle. Then you can sort by ID, Status, Execution Data, Summary, Label and Component by the columns. All you have to do is click the column headers and it will sort by that column for you.

• The Test Cycles page does not show the entire cycle name. You have to hover over it to read any title longer than about 15 characters. The only way to see the entire name is to make the text so small we can barely read it.

Zephyr - The best workaround for this is if you have a long cycle name, place the name in the description. It will display the description on the cycle and it can hold more characters than the name.

• When exectuing a test, if you enter a defect at the step level it will not display back on the Test Cycles page. If you enter a defect at the top Test Execution level it will display back on the Test Cycles page.

Zephyr - In Zephyr for JIRA 2.2 we added a few things to assist with this. We did fix the link so if you link a defect to a test step it will properly link to the defect. We also added so if you hover over the defect in the cycles screen, a pop up will appear showing you all the defects filed at the test step leve. They are hyper links as well.

• Cannot assign a Test Execution or a Test Cycle.

Zephyr - Zephyr for JIRA does not have the ability to assign testers to executions or to test cycles. It was created so that anyone assigned to the JIRA project can log in and begin executing tests. However, a workaround for Test Cycle is you can add the persons name in description field of the cycle. This way it will display their name so they can see that the cycle belongs to them.

• No notifications
    • If a test is marked as pass/fail
    • If comment is added
    • If a defect is added
    • Zephyr - Can you let us know what kind of notifications you are looking for?
  • From the Zephyr gadget results in a JIRA dashboard, cannot drill down. So, clicking on the results in the gadget doesn't bring up the tests in JIRA.

Zephyr - Currently Zephyr for JIRA does not have the ability to dirll down into the gadgets available with native functionality.

Our Product Management team has been made aware of this feature request. They will review the same for consideration. We appreciate your valuable feedback in making Zephyr for JIRA better.
On a side note we have this feature in our Zephyr Enterprise Edition.

• The test cycle lists only ten cases and the "next" button is hard to see and find. No one knows it's there.

Zephyr - Currently this is the way Zephyr for JIRA is designed. Too many folks did not like seeing all the tests in a cycle at once. It brought a lot of lag to the page and made it difficult to view. We added the ability to go to the next page and view 10 at a time.

• Attached PDF files open in the same browser tab.

Zephyr - You can attach PDF files in Zephyr for JIRA however I am not sure I understand what you mean by attaching files that are open in the same browser tab. Please provide steps to re create and we will asses.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Jessica Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2014

Thanks for your quick reply! We appreciate it.

-We need to be able to sort by Summary, Label, Component, and Defect on the Test Cycles page. Sometimes test cycles have quite a few tests and we need to sort by the Summary to make sense of all the cases under it, or sort by Component because one tester is testing those and another tester is sorting a different component and if there are over 10 tests because of the next page link being hard to find it makes for a frustrating user experience. Especially for high-level non-technical clients.

- Our descriptions are used to explain what that Cycle is for. I suppose we can put the full title in the description and then put a bunch of spaces after that and then write the actual description. That may work. But, eventually, I would think that the title should only be as long as what will display when a normal browser is at 100% zoom.

- We are currently running Zephyr for JIRA 2.1.0.1459. We will work on the upgrade to 2.2 and use the new features. Thank you.

-For notifications - Normal JIRA notifications, like email. So, if someone is watching that Test and someone else updates a comment, adds a defect to the execution or marks it pass/fail, then a notification would be sent out. The way it is now, the test coordinator has to have the Test Cycle page open all day to see how the testing is going and if there are any defects.

- I understand the need to only have 10 tests per page. That makes sense. Would it be possible though to also add the "next" link for the next 10 tests to the top of that cycle as well? Might make it easier to see. Or maybe make it bold?

-When opening an attached PDF it should open in a new window or new tab. Not overlay the tab you already have open.

Thanks again!

JS

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events