How are you syncing 2 instances of JIRA?

Deleted user June 10, 2016

We've got a prod and dev instance of JIRA running and I'd like to sync them.

What are you using and what have you found helpful?

2 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2016

Always a fun question.  It used to be "a manual slog" and "some scripting with bodges".  But nowadays, I lean strongly towards a couple of options.

First, it depends on what you mean by "sync".  You have 2 JIRA systems, with projects and issues in both.

If your 'sync' is issue to issue (so an issue in dev is commented/updated, and the same issue in prod needs to be updated), then you really want to look at K15t's Backbone product.

If your 'sync' is about the configuration you've been doing (i.e. you rig up a project in dev, with workflows, screens, fields and the rest, test it and decide "yes, we like this" and want to transfer the config to production), then, look to Botron's Configuration manager

Deleted user June 10, 2016

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the reply. You've brought up some good points. I think we're leaning towards using the dev instance for testing then moving to prod, BUT the idea of keeping both instances mirrored/synced is appealing as well. I think for our purposes, if the Configuration manager can transfer all the work to the prod instance, then that would be a great safe guard and a truly better dev tool.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2016

The thing about the k15t thing is that it is dynamic - I think it's more for the cases where you have say two organisations who want to collaborate, and they both have their own JIRA installations.  Instead of having to argue about which one you should use, and going through all the "fun" of securing them so that people can only see the shared areas, Backbone lets you set up a project on both sides and just synchronise between them.  It's still 2 projects on separate systems, but mirroring the data. You can do it as a flat 1:1 so they're identical, or you can pick and choose which bits you sync (dropping fields etc).  You can even do it internally (one JIRA and two projects that sync!)

I suspect Conflguration Manager is better for you though.  It's aimed at transferring config between systems, and it works well.  You can define (and version) exports of one or many project configs, and once you've imported a project config, you know that the target project is now ideally set up to use JIRA's internal "project import" to draw in the issues if you want them.

Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2016

Hi Nathan,

One of the main use cases we wanted to target with Configuration Manager for JIRA was moving configuration from dev to prod in an automated way which also gives users complete confidence in the changes they are performing to their production systems. Drop me an email at petar.petrov@botronsoft.com and we can organize an online demo for you where we can show you how Configuration Manager works and discuss your exact use case.

Cheers!

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2016

Nic,

Your suggestion of these two products may have solved, for me, not just a handful but a bucket full of things I am working on. To wit:

• We collaborate with several other environments in our company around the world. It appears that the Backbone product will remove our need to have all JIRA instances  configured as the Lowest Common Denominator One Size Fits Nobody realm. Each environment can run the way that environment wants to and integrate with the others.
  • We're going... for reasons... down the Docker path here. The Configuration Manager and the Backbone product will help us a lot to get there, it seems.

Thanks for that.

mike

Deleted user June 13, 2016

Hi Petar,

Thank  you for the response. I will be getting in touch soon

Kind regards

1 vote
Nils Bier _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2016

Thanks for mentioning Backbone, Nic.

Nathan and Mike: We're holding two intro + demo webinars on the add-on this Wednesday, details and registration are here: https://www.k15t.com/blog/2016/06/backbone-issue-sync-for-jira-two-webinars-on-june-15th

For more info on the product right now: https://www.k15t.com/software/backbone-issue-sync

And we're always happy to answer questions directly: nils@k15t.com

Cheers,
-Nils

Christoph June 13, 2016

Hi Nils,
do both JIRA instances need to install the plugin ? Meaning two times the license fees ? Once for each system ?
Thanks - Christoph

Nils Bier _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2016

Hi Christoph,

both (all) JIRA instances would need to have the add-on installed and licensed for the specific JIRA user tier.

Best,
Nils

Christoph June 14, 2016

Why am I not surprised  smile
Thanks for clarification - Christoph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events